Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Incroyable!

So tomorrow I have a French test :( and since I work from 8 till 5:30 and have my lessons from 6:30 till 8:30 twice a week, there is so little time left for me to study what we actually learn. So I can say that I’m SO WELL PREPARED for tomorrow’s test :)
I don’t know why I’m not friends with French. I like the way it sounds, it is a classy language, but I’m not convinced with its structure. I mean there is no logic in the language the way I see it. We get a grammar rule, which applies to 20% of the cases and then we take the exceptions, which happen to be the remaining 80%!!! We’d be concentrating in the teacher’s explanation, she’d give us a rule and then go like: “now there are SOME exceptions. Open page 102 in the book, see, from that page till page 105 you’ll find all exceptions concerning THIS RULE ONLY!!”.
And the tenses, GOD!!! They’re so many, and very complicated. Look at English for example, it’s so practical, they have many tenses, but almost all of them are used regularly. Not like French, they have so many tenses and only few are the ones used in daily life. Also German, which have really difficult structure and many grammar rules, and 3 genders, it is difficult, but still it’s very logical, you have clear rules, you follow them, learn the few exceptions by heart and that’s it.
And what annoys me most in French is the unpronounced letters!!! (parle) is pronounced like (parlent), which is pronounced like (parles)!! (Essuyer) is pronounced just like (essuyez)! (femme) is pronounced like (femmes)!!Why the hell do they write them if they’re not gonna pronounce them! To differentiate their positions in syntax? ok, why don’t they invent a whole new word or add a letter that will be pronounced, or a preposition or any damn thing so it becomes easier for the one listening to distinguish words!! For God’s sake, the teacher dictates us and I end up writing a text of repeated words!! How would a beginner who’s still learning basics figure out that the teacher meant (imparfait) and not (passé composé)? Specially when she’s speaking 10 words in 1 second, words of which we know only a couple!
I was shocked from my first day in French. In our FIRST lesson, we were taking the groups of verbs and how to recognize them by their endings. And because of some similarities between the second and third groups, the teacher gave us a rule: “if the verb takes (iss) with (nous) then it means it belongs to the second group, for example we say (nous partons) and (nous rougissons) so (partir) is of the third group and (rougir) is of the second”. Now how the hell would we know that it takes (iss) and doesn’t remain as it is? It’s our problem, we MUST learn by heart!! Then why give us a useless rule from the start??… Nobody knows!
Not to forget the (y) and (en) that replace certain phrases, and the (t) added to connect two words, or the (g) added to make the word sound “lighter”, and the (h) that they pronounce as an (A), and the (liaison) between the last letter in a word and the vowel after it, and, and, and…
After around 3 months of learning, I can understand French much better than before, and I enjoy the French movies and programs more. I am able to write a simple text, and I can manage speaking certain kinds of conversations. But still I think English and German are more practical. Or maybe the fact that I was free of other responsibilities when I learned them made it easier for me to obtain the language better. Whatever the reason, I believe that languages were created to communicate and French was created to complicate!
Anyway, let’s just hope I pass tomorrow ;)